This salad is so delicious. It was a huge hit in our home. It’s probably not the healthiest as it uses ramen noodles, but considering it serves 10 I’m not so concerned about it. It is an awesome dish to make for a summer gathering. I modified it somewhat in that I used 1/2 cup oil instead of 3/4 cup. I also roasted the slivered almonds in the oven @350 for about 8 minutes, but be sure to watch as they can go from golden to burnt very quickly. I also cooked the dry noodles up in a pan with 2 TBL of butter until golden, too. I used one of the chicken flavor packets that came with the ramen, but go by what tastes good to you.
I tried this recipe from Allrecipes.com and fell in love with the sauce. I’ve made it with turkey and chicken. I’ve also made it without the English Muffins and just served in a lettuce wrap. I’m not sure how Asian the scallion English Muffins are, but my kids loved them. It’s all good. Thanks for a wonderful recipe, Janice Elder. I served it with marinated cucumbers in a sweet Thai Chili sauce. I also added fennel seeds to the cucumbers, which was a great addition. Here is the link for the original recipe. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Asian-Turkey-Barbecue-on-Sesame-Scallion-Toasts/Detail.aspx
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup barbeque sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 3 cups cooked, chopped cooked chicken
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup diced green onions, divided
- 4 English muffins, split
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, whisk together hoisin sauce, barbeque sauce, ginger and 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Mix in turkey, salt, pepper and green onions, gently tossing until all ingredients are well blended. Cook approximately 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining sesame oil and remaining green onions. Brush the cut sides of the English muffins lightly with the mixture. Place the muffin halves face up on a medium baking sheet.
- Broil English muffins 2 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Remove from heat and top with turkey mixture. Serve warm.