This is such an easy and delicious dinner. I started off with a 2-lb bag of Jumbo, frozen, raw shrimp that I defrosted under cool water and removed the shells. They were split and deveined already so it went really quickly. Next, I put some Old Bay seasoning on the shrimp and then wrapped each jumbo shrimp in a half slice of raw bacon and fastened with a toothpick. I put them into a container and poured BBQ sauce on them and let them sit in the fridge for a couple hours. When I got ready to cook them I preheated my oven on broil and put in a foil-lined pan with the shrimps for approximately 6 minutes. The oven rack was at the middle of the oven so it would go faster if it were higher to the heating element. The shrimp and the bacon cooked at the same time so they were both perfect. Kids loved them and I just tossed away the foil when I was finished. Ta Da!
I tried this recipe from Allrecipes.com and fell in love with the sauce. I’ve made it with turkey and chicken. I’ve also made it without the English Muffins and just served in a lettuce wrap. I’m not sure how Asian the scallion English Muffins are, but my kids loved them. It’s all good. Thanks for a wonderful recipe, Janice Elder. I served it with marinated cucumbers in a sweet Thai Chili sauce. I also added fennel seeds to the cucumbers, which was a great addition. Here is the link for the original recipe. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Asian-Turkey-Barbecue-on-Sesame-Scallion-Toasts/Detail.aspx
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup barbeque sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 3 cups cooked, chopped cooked chicken
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup diced green onions, divided
- 4 English muffins, split
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, whisk together hoisin sauce, barbeque sauce, ginger and 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Mix in turkey, salt, pepper and green onions, gently tossing until all ingredients are well blended. Cook approximately 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining sesame oil and remaining green onions. Brush the cut sides of the English muffins lightly with the mixture. Place the muffin halves face up on a medium baking sheet.
- Broil English muffins 2 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Remove from heat and top with turkey mixture. Serve warm.